If you’ve been on Facebook, you’ve probably seen a meme video -- a combination of a short video and clever text. Meme videos can be a fun way to share video with commentary or to help your video stand out in a crowded social media feed. And those meme videos are easier to make than you might think, especially in Animoto.
A square video works best in your Facebook News Feed. Here’s how to do it:
1. Log into Animoto. If you don’t already have an Animoto account, you can get one for free. Click here to sign up.
2. Start with a landscape video. Either download a landscape video you’ve already created or search our Getty Images library to find stock videos for your project. A square or vertical video will not work when you’re creating your meme.
3. Square it. To begin your video, select the Start from Scratch option in the upper-right-hand corner of your screen. Try choosing a style that won’t distract from your meme, like Blank Slate, which has uncomplicated transitions and no background. Choose the square video option, upload your landscape video, and you’re ready to go!
4. Create the meme look. Upload your landscape video and drop it into your project. Once it’s in your project, click on your video. You’ll see a small toolbar appear above it. Click the Scale tool, then pull the slider that appears all the way to the left.
If you like, you can also trim your video here. If your landscape video has sound, don’t forget to mute it by clicking the audio icon at the bottom of your video block.
5. Add text. At this point, you can add a short caption to make a true meme video. Select the T icon to add text and write your message. Then click on your text to move it above or below your video.
If the text doesn’t quite fit, try adjusting the text size. You can find options for color, size, and more by clicking on your text box.
6. Format your video. Click the Design button on the upper left side of your screen to customize your meme. For a standard meme look, here’s what we recommend:
7. Add or delete music. Click on the Music icon at the top of your screen. If you’d like to change the default song, you can search our library of licensed songs or upload your own licensed music. Once you do, you’ll see a visual of the song you’ve chosen appear under your video. If you’d like to have no song at all—say if you’re planning to turn your video into a GIF—you can remove the music by clicking the trash icon above the default song choice appearing just below your video.
8. Share it. Once your video is finished, click the Export button in the upper-right-hand corner of the workspace. When your video is ready, you can download it and post it on Facebook.
Want to add a vertical meme to your Facebook or Instagram Stories? Luckily, they’re also very easy to create.
When you’re on the go, you can create your own vertical meme videos using our iOS app. Download here to get started.
1. Choose a template. We recommend our Comparison Meme template shown below for Stories of this type. If you’d like to skip the template, you can also choose the Start from Scratch option.
2. Add images and video clips. Upload your own images or choose from the Getty Images stock available in the app.
3. Adjust your design. Tap the Design icon at the bottom of your screen. From here you can change text styles, video styles, and colors, if you like. You can also tap on individual blocks in your video to change layouts, colors, and text. Preview your changes in real time, then tap the aqua check in the upper-right-hand corner to save them.
4. Change your text. Add in your own take on a meme by tapping on the text box and replacing the text in the template with your own. You can also move the text where you want or change its size with just a few taps.
5. Change music. Each video comes with a default song, though you can easily change it if you want a different sound. Tap on the Music icon to see the song playing in your video. Then tap on Change Song at the bottom of your screen to see songs categorized by mood and genre or to browse the full music library. Don’t want music at all? Change the toggle next to your song from on to off.
6. Share it. Once your video’s ready, tap the square with the arrow icon in the upper-right-hand side of your screen. This will finalize your video. It may take a moment or two. Afterwards, you can export your video straight to your Instagram, Facebook, or Snapchat Stories by tapping on the video you want to share, then tapping the Share button at the bottom of your screen.
You can also make a vertical meme for your Stories using your computer. Here’s how we created the video below.
1. Start from scratch. Choose a video theme that appeals to you. We recommend a theme like Clean Cut or Forward Thinking for easy-to-read text. Then select the vertical aspect ratio as you start your video. You can also upload images or video clips, if you have them.
2. Add images and video clips. If you haven’t already done so, add in your images or search for what you need in our library of Getty Images stock.
3. Choose a layout. When your video opens, you’ll see a prompt to drag your media onto your first block. You’ll also have the option to change layouts and colors by clicking on the icons along the left-hand side of your block. Animoto offers a variety of layouts. If you’re doing a comparison meme, like the one above, a simple, two-image layout is probably your best bet.
4. Add in text. Tap the T icon on the left-hand side of your block to add in text. Text includes a header and a subheader. You can keep one and delete the other or use both. You can also change the colors and sizes of both to fit the look you want.
5. Customize your design. If you want to change overall colors, fonts, and transitions, click on the Design icon on the upper-left side of your screen. You’ll see a variety of tools for changing the text and video setting of your whole video.
6. Change music. Every video has a default song. If you’d like to change it, click on the Music icon at the top of your screen. Then you can search our library of licensed songs or upload your own licensed music. Afterwards, the song you’ve chosen will appear under your project. If you’d prefer to have no music, you can remove the song by clicking the trash icon just below your video.
7. Share it. Once your video is finished, click the Export button in the upper-right-hand corner of the workspace. When your video is ready, you can download it to share on Facebook, Instagram, or wherever you like.
If you make your own meme video, we’d love to see it! Share it with us on Facebook or post a link in the comments below.
© 2020 Animoto Inc. All Rights Reserved.