We’ve been diving into how to use the various features in Instagram Stories as part of an ongoing Instagram Story series. Today we’re diving into how to add music to an Instagram Story.
60 percent of Instagram Stories are played with the sound on, according to Brandwatch, and music can be a fun way to surprise and delight sound-on viewers. There are a couple of ways you can add music to an Instagram Story. One is to use Instagram’s Music sticker and the other is to add music to your video before you upload it to your Story.
In this article, we’ll answer a few questions related to how to put music on an Instagram Story:
- How to use the Instagram Story Music sticker
- How to add music to a video before uploading to Instagram
- Best practices for using sound in Instagram Stories
- How to play music on an Instagram Story you’re watching
How to put music on an Instagram Story
We’ll start by diving into the two ways to include music in your Instagram Stories—the Music sticker and creating your own video with music to upload to your Story.
How to use the Instagram Story Music sticker
The Instagram Story Music sticker was released in June 2018. It’s a fun way to add some audible flair to your Stories, though not everyone has access yet. If the Instagram music feature hasn’t been rolled out to you yet, or if you’re in a country that doesn’t support it, not to worry! Will show you how to add music to an Instagram Story without the sticker in the next section.
We’ll dive into the instructions in more details below, but here’s a quick step by step to get you started:
- Create a new Instagram Story
- Tap the sticker icon at the top of the screen
- Tap to select the Music sticker icon
- Select a song
- Choose the portion of the song you want to play
- Tap “Done” to add the song to your story
And now, onto the more in-depth instructions! If you do have access to the Music sticker, it can be used on any type of Instagram Story. You’ll find it when you tap the sticker icon at the top of your screen (the little square with a smiley face) when you’re creating your Story. Tap on the Music sticker to get started.
Once you do, it’ll open up a new screen where you can search for music according to Popular, Moods, and Genres. Instagram offers a variety of popular music that’s licensed for use in your Instagram Stories. However, you can only use up to 15 seconds at a time (the length of a story) and the sticker will be displayed on your Story while the song plays, with the name of the song and the artist listed.
Scroll through and click the play button to preview songs, or search for something specific using the “Search music” field at the top of the screen.
To add a song to your story, simply click on it. This will open up a new screen where you can hold and drag the box in the middle of the song’s timeline to select the section of the song you’d like to play in your story.
For video posts, the song length will default to the length of your video clip. For static image posts, the length will default to 15 seconds, but you can tap the button that says “15 SECS” to shorten the clip.
When you’re finished, tap “Done.” This will add the sticker to your story! Hold and drag to reposition or resize, and tap for different display options, which you can see below. When you’re done, tap “Send To >” to share your Story!
- When selecting the section of the song you want in your Story, try starting at the beginning of the chorus. Instagram makes it easy, with a tick mark that indicates the beginning of the chorus on songs.
- Preview your story to see how it feels with the audio before you send it to your story. You can always make adjustments, including choosing a new song or deleting the Music sticker entirely if you decide it’s better without music. To delete, hold and drag the sticker. A trash icon will appear at the bottom of the screen.
How to add music on an Instagram Story without the sticker
If you don’t have the Instagram Music sticker, you can still include music in an Instagram Story by simply sharing a video that already has music as a part of it. You can create a video using a third party tool and then upload it to Instagram to add it to your Story.
For inspiration, check out our post on how to use Animoto to create a vertical video using our square format. We’ve got a music library full of licensed tracks to choose from or you can add your own music.
If you’re creating a video to upload to Instagram, remember that Instagram Stories are limited to 15 seconds, so you’ll want to make sure your video is 15 seconds or less or, if it’s longer, that it’s cut into pieces of 15 seconds or less. Once your video is created, make sure it’s accessible from your device. Then, you can easily upload it to Instagram with the following steps:
- Log into Instagram
- Tap “Your Story” in the top left corner of your screen
- Create a “Normal” story and select the video from your Camera Roll
- Tap the “Send To >” button to add the video to your Story
- When sharing your own video with music, it can be helpful to include a “Sound On” sticker so that viewers know there’s music in your Story. To add this, click the Sticker icon and search for “Sound On.” The sticker will show up and you can tap it to add it to your story!
That’s it! You’re now armed with instructions for adding music to an Instagram Story. Happy Instagramming!
Learn more about Instagram Stories: